Do you prefer Ripe or unripe Mango?
How much do you know about Thailand favorite fruit? Mango in Thailand has more than 50 species and different way to eat. Some of them is really sweet and perfect for Sticky rice and mango while some of them is perfect for spicy salad.
Unripe Mango or Green Mango (Mam̀wng dib) – this type of Mango is popular to eat when it is green. The texture is crunchy and little bit sweet or sour , depending on the species, but the taste will become tasteless when become ripe. Thai people love to dip this kind of Mango with spicy sauce for snack.
- Khiaosawoey. If you translate word by word, it mean Mango- Green- and Eat. The taste is bit sweet and popular to dip with salt and chili.
- Raet– This one called Rhino Mango, which came from shape of mango that has small horn like horn of Rhino. This type of mango has really sour taste, so it is very popular to put in same salad and eat with fried fish.
- Falan– This mango called as Thunder mango, it came when we try to peel and the texture will chap like sound of thunder.
Ripe Mango or Yellow mango (Mam̀wng s̄uk ) – This type of Mango is very popular to eat when it is ripe and turn yellow. I think this is one of Thailand’s’ famous fruit. Outside of mango will have yellow skin and soft texture with sweet taste. This category of mango is perfect matching with sticky rice.
- Okrong – This mango characteristic has small grove line on the fruit. When you eat, you will feel small texture line inside.
- Namdokmai – Namdokmai or Flower mango is one of the most famous mango because of sweet flavor and small seeds.
- Mahachanok – This mango called as “The great father” in order to honored the king rama 9. It is the mixed between 2 local breeds and the shape of mango is big and longer comparing to another mango. The skin is thicker than other so it is easier to transport and export. The more important of this one is the fragrance and become yellow and little bit red when it ripe.